The English language is filled with difficult grammar and spelling problems.
One that keeps tripping me up is “affect” (verb) versus “effect” (noun). Which word do I use in what context? The following site has been helpful for me to decipher this common grammar error: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx.
Other English elements that make life difficult:
- its (possessive) vs it’s (it is)
- your (possessive) vs you’re (you are)
- their (possessive), they’re (they are) or there (pronoun / adverb)
- too (also), to (many uses), two (number)
- … there are too many to list
Happy editing! 🙂