Software can be “assigned” to active directory computers using group policy objects. Deploying to a user is supported as well, but may lead to frustrated users waiting for an install to finish before login completes. Computer-assigned software installs at boot time. User-assigned software installs at login time.
- Software deploy share should be “Read” (read + execute) for authenticated users on your domain.
- Orca can be used to make an MST transform file (only use transform if necessary)
Some useful articles:
- Recommendations for deploying software by GPO (Ivan’s blog)
- Deploy Java via group policy – using a MST transform and Orca (Ivan’s blog)
- Windows SDK OFFLINE ISO Download INCLUDES Orca – IAI=Itanium, X=x64, Plain=32bit (Microsoft.com)
- Windows SDK ONLINE Download – Can Select Orca (Microsoft.com)
- Change MSI file location UNC path for deployed software (Microsoft Support)
- Making a transform (MST) with Orca (tonyle.ca)
- FAQ (frequent questions) about MST transform files (MSDN Blogs)
- Using group policy to deploy software (Microsoft Support)
- Downloading and installing Orca (ardamis.com)