The uber-popular Cisco CCNA certification program is undergoing some small but important changes to the certification process this year (2013). If you’re planning to take the test, or already have a voucher – you may need to take the legacy 640-802 test soon before it is retired. Starting in October 2013, you will be required to take updated exams from the re-designed CCNA program.
- The 640-802 is a single 90-minute exam provided by Cisco. If you pass, you will be awarded the coveted CCNA certification. Last day to test is 30 September 2013. More details on the Cisco Legacy CCNA Composite Exam Page.
- The replacement exam is 200-120 which has a similar 90-minute format, but updated questions matching the newer Routing & Switching training material (CCNAX v2 Course). More details are on the Cisco CCNA Composite v2 Exam Page.
With these changes, Cisco has further enhanced the CCNA program to highlight networking specializations other than routing & switching. New CCNA programs have been announced for Voice, Security, Wireless, etc. Read the following Cisco documents for the official word:
- Cisco Evolves Associate-Level Certifications, Redesigns CCNA Routing and Switching Certification to Support Next-Generation Job Roles (cisco.com)
- Cisco Certifications Site – listing new associate-level options (cisco.com)
- The New CCNA Routing and Switching Transition Period (Cisco VIP Opinion)