UPDATE May 2015, the old links were no longer active. The new FRB Services site is at http://www.frbservices.org and the associated links below have been updated. Thanks for reading!
Electronic File Transfers (EFT) in the USA require ACH (Automated Clearing House) routing numbers. You can manually look up registered routing numbers on a web site hosted by the Federal Reserve Banks (FRB).
- Search for FedACH® Participant RDFIs (Manually look-up ACH Routing numbers here)
- Download All FedACH Participant RDFIs on the bottom of FRB Download E-Payments Directories page (Fixed Format Text file for use by computer programs)
There are many services on the web offering this information for a fee, but the Federal Reserve Banks are the authoritative source and they offer these ACH Routing Number lookup tools and files free of charge to facilitate financial business in the USA.
- RDFIs = Receiving Depository Financial Institutions
- ABA RTN = American Bankers Association Routing Transit Number
- ACH = Automated Clearing House
- EFT = Electronic Funds Transfer
- NACHA = The Electronic Payments Association (formerly the “National Automated Clearing House Association”)