If you get on an illegal email list that is being sold to spammers, there may be no way to get off of the list. Some legitimate email lists may become illegitimate over time as companies are acquired, contact lists are sold as “leads”, or computers are infected with malware that harvests contact lists for spammer use and resale.
Citizens of the USA who are seeing a lot of unsolicited or shady email can forward those messages as attachments to the FTC at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further guidance for dealing with these pesky unwanted messages is provided in the following articles:
- Beware of Spam (usa.gov)
- Spam | OnGuard Online (onguardonline.gov)
- How to submit spam … samples (sophos.com)
- Screen shot graphical examples for attaching spam samples to an email message
- Reducing Spam – US-CERT (us-cert.gov)
- Spam – US-DOJ (justice.gov)